Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Trials & Tribulations of Food Intolerances...

Yes, I’m one of THOSE people...that annoying person who can’t eat just anything. Woe is me.

Being gluten free sucks! The extra kicker is the lactose intolerance. Makes dining out a right pain in the posterior – not only for me but my fellow diners who endure my complaints about lack of menu options for me to choose from. Don’t even get me started about the price mark ups for the limited options coeliacs have. Bakeries are my hell!!

So, despite reading many minimalism blogs, where they tell you to purge items & declutter your home, I’m quietly accumulating more & more kitchen gadgets to satisfy my feelings of always missing out food wise!

Pretty sure it started with the bread maker (shipped over from the UK – so now requires an adaptor to work here – pah!) & most recently – a waffle maker just this week. Cos you know what – I wanna eat waffles too just like NORMAL people can!! And no – I can’t just pop to my local supermarket & buy some gluten free versions – as I’ve never actually seen any here in Melbourne.

Frankly, brunch menus are a major headache for me. The prices are ridiculous for food I can cook cheaply at home & then slob out in front of the tv catching up on stockpiled shows / blogs to read. No dressing up, dealing with snooty hipster wait staff or rushing around required!

I figured the waffle maker will have paid for itself after only 5 uses – 5 times I’m spared schlepping out to overpriced disappointing cafe menus. And once I figure out the magic gluten free recipe that not only works but tastes GOOD (cos it’s constantly a game of hit or miss) I’ll be able to freeze my efforts for future convenience. Good thinking huh!

So, after some research, I opted for the Cuisineart 4 slice belgium waffle maker......Americans RAVE about it – so you know – it must be good !  Shall be trying it out over the next few days......here’s hoping it was worth all my justifications after all ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment