Monday, February 13, 2012

Australian Retail Prices

After spraining my ankle badly & being told recovery would take a minimum of 3 months (damn!), it had come to my attention that I didn’t own any flat shoes suitable to wear daily at work or for social events. The days of me gallivanting around in high heels have been numbered for now, so I resigned myself to the tedious task of shoe shopping for flats (sigh).

I noticed whilst out on my mission, just how many empty stores for lease there are currently within the CBD and on Chapel Street of Melbourne. And I’m not surprised. Retailers in Australia are (generally) vastly over priced for poorer quality products than what you’ll find in the USA or Europe. And it seems the public are finally waking up to this – hence the popularity of online shopping, along with the strong Aussie $.

Take for example these shoes:



















Originally priced at $59.95 ! (yes – seriously) ....... reduced to $20 and still within the current season  (supposedly summer here in Melbourne – but that’s debatable most weeks).

I mean come on – they’re pretty enough for flat summer shoes & suit my current predicament – but there’s no way I would consider paying the supposed recommended retail price. And that’s the catch 22 situation shoppers are in. On the one hand – we’re sick of being ripped off and finally taking advantage of overseas retailers.
But on the other – the more store closures = less competition & retailers continue to get away with their ridiculous pricing.

I look forward to when this isn’t the case, but in the mean time, I’ve reached the stage where I believe it’s become more cost effective for Australians who are considering an overseas holiday, to combine it with a shopping budget included for wardrobe updating. Even if you just purchase key pieces, the higher quality and money saved over purchasing in Australia is well worth the effort.

For some who know their exact sizing / measurements, the internet sales are perfect & a welcome relief to rip-off prices within Oz. Extortionate shipping costs can take that shine off & alas - I'm in the group of people who actually need to try on items before purchase, otherwise return postage is a major drawback...
 
Your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. God I so agree.

    I'm so sick of the ridiculous prices of things especially when it's all made in China and the damn thing didn't cost that much to make in the first place.

    Not only that, designers charge sky high amounts for their goods and that's a pain in my neck as there are so many things I'd like but cannot afford because of the ridiculous prices.

    I look forward to sales, either tax time or after xmas, even during the year now, they are the only times I buy anything as no one can afford full price anymore, especially with Julia Gillard and her carbon tax now here.

    NO ONE will be buying anything.

    ReplyDelete