Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I Love Books & Reading...

...But one of the first steps I’m taking on reducing clutter, is slowly whittling down the number of print books I own.
That’s right – I’m on the Kindle bandwagon!
Having purchased one as a Christmas present for my parents – who love to read but baulk at book prices charged in Oz & have to wait ages for reserved library books to materialise – I promptly bought my own on boxing day.
I have the current version – keyboard less – and find it very compact & convenient to carry around daily in my handbag.
I recommend a book style cover (can purchase cheaply off ebay), as it not only protects the kindle screen & gadget from any hard knocks, but also makes holding it whilst reading easier – I’ve found.
Often the ebook version is much cheaper than the print copy & there are ways in which to share your copy with others – which I won’t get into now. There are also loads of free ebooks out there on websites to download.
I’m finding that I’m more inclined to read these days by having it in my handbag at the ready. No more lugging paperbacks for me & you can forget about hardbacks!! The battery life is terrific as well – seems to last well over a month before needing to recharge. And yes – it does show pictures included in books – sometimes not that great – but for the most part good enough. I now have quite a few recipe books to browse through......if only it were just as easy to whip the dishes up!
So, the next step is to actually make time to read my way through the current hoarded books up the top of my wardrobe, in order to donate them to friends / family / charity & finally free up some storage space...or as a stop gap weekend project – move them to under my bed where I can access them more easily AND have the wardrobe space free to use finally....
Oh to have an actual book case – ha!

Has anyone else made the transition over to just ebooks?

5 comments:

  1. The kindle has been on my 'to buy' list for a couple of months, but other things keep popping up and it gets pushed aside for something else. I'm thinking I might just ask my mum to get me one for my birthday in May. I've slacked off so much in my reading the last year or two, so I figure this might encourage me to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same - it's really worth the purchase!
    Bought the parents one direct from Amazon - shipped pretty quickly to Oz, but once I'd handed it over to them I couldn't wait & purchased the 2nd one from Dick Smiths - pretty much works out to be the same price & you don't have to wait for it to arrive. Send me a message if you do get one - I can point you in the direction of books to download ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got the kindle app on my iPad and the Zinio magazine app. So now I don't have the clutter of books or magazines. We got rid of our books and our bookcase. I don't buy CDs anymore just get them off iTunes. I feel so free of clutter plus save $$$.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great Everyday Girl! I ripped all my music cd's so I no longer had any physical discs taking up space, & joined multiple libraries when I arrived in Oz so I didn't have to purchase & store books there on. Now that I have the kindle, my clearout is nearing completion...really looking forward to less clutter in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your ideas on clearing clutter, (I'm in HK, spacing is always limited) I use my Android smartphone to read novels, kindle is not popular in HK, but we all carrying a smartphone (iPhone or Android). Beside ebook, I also read articles from website/blog and keep all me mp3 from the smartphone. It looks like I can get anything I want whenever I am.
    But I insist to keep a printed book collection for the subjects I like. Ebook is convenience of course, it helps to save a lot money and space, but reading printed version is another satisfaction. And when I am so happy when I am sitting in my study, with shelves of my favorite book collection!
    I'm now still carrying a book in my handbag everyday.

    ReplyDelete